Saturday, July 17, 2010

work, work, work

I now live in a home with 2 employed people. Both Kara and I started work this week.

I am officially a Hospice Social Worker. I think I am really going to enjoy the work, the patients and families and the co-workers. I am not overly excited about the driving. Orientation this week, and for the next couple of weeks is primarily in the Ohio offices an hour away, although half of it is on company time. Once I start my own work load I will usually remain in Indiana, but I will cover a 6 county territory, I hope to be able to group patient visits in order to limit the driving but it will be a lot and I am not overly thrilled about driving some of these roads during the winter. I am considering trading in my car for a Subaru, an all wheel drive may be nice when ice and snow are present. Other than my driving concerns I am really excited about the work. Working with the terminally ill and their families can be so rewarding and can really help keep your priorities straight.

Kara also started work this week, she is a sandwich artist at Subway. She had 2 1/2 hours of boring video watching but seems excited to get on the job and make those sandwiches. I think it will be good for her to get out in the workforce. I think we are both excited for her to have some financial independence.

Tim is now the only unemployed at home but for now he is happy about that.

1 comment:

Kerri said...

Lisa, I'm really excited for you. I think hospice is such an amazing program. I'm sorry about the driving, though. That's a total pain.